Univ.Prof. Dr. Johannes Berger
Head of Department
Department(s): Department of Pathobiology of the Nervous System (Center for Brain Research)
Birthday: 1st January
Location: Spitalgasse 4
Download Curriculum vitae (CV)
Peroxisomes in Brain Disorders
Plasmalogens, Peroxisomes, Peroxisomal Disorders, Alzheimer Disease, Adrenoleukodystrophy
My main research focus is to understand the importance of different peroxisomal metabolic pathways for the proper function of the brain. The research is designed to elucidate molecular mechanisms underlying the different phenotypes of X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy and to develop novel therapeutic approaches. The ether phospholipid biosynthesis is disturbed in a group of inherited peroxisomal disorders but increasing evidence emerges suggesting a role of ether phospholipids in the pathogenesis of late onset neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease. Thus, the characterization of molecular consequence of ether phospholipid deficiency for the nervous system is another focus of our laboratory.
Mouse models for X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy, ether phospholipid deficiency or Alzheimer’s disease are used for in vivo analysis and primary cells from human patients (e.g. monocytes, lymphoblast or fibroblasts) for in vitro analysis of the role of peroxisomes in proper cellular functioning. A broad spectrum of biochemical, cell biological, and imaging techniques are used.
- Weinhofer I, Rommer P, Zierfuss B, Altmann P, Foiani M, Heslegrave A, Zetterberg H, Gleiss A, Musolino P, Gong Y, Forss-Petter S, Berger T, Eichler F, Aubourg P, Köhler W, Berger J (2021) Neurofilament light chain as a potential biomarker for monitoring neurodegeneration in X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy Nat Commun, 12 (1)
- Dorninger F, König T, Scholze P, Berger M, Zeitler G, Wiesinger C, Gundacker A, Pollak D, Huck S, Just W, Forss-Petter S, Pifl C, Berger J (2019) Disturbed Neurotransmitter Homeostasis in Ether Lipid Deficiency Hum Mol Genet, 28(12): 2046-2061
- Weinhofer I, Zierfuss B, Hametner S, Wagner M, Popitsch N, Machacek C, Bartolini B, Zlabinger G, Ohradanova-Repic A, Stockinger H, Köhler W, Höftberger R, Regelsberger G, Forss-Petter S, Lassmann H, Berger J (2018) Impaired plasticity of macrophages in X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy Brain, 141: 2329-2342
| Article (PDF) |
- Facciotti F, Ramanjaneyulu GS, Lepore M, Sansano S, Cavallari M, Kistowska M, Forss-Petter S, Ni G, Colone A, Singhal A, Berger J, Xia C, Mori L, De Libero G (2012) Peroxisome-derived lipids are self-antigens stimulating invariant Natural Killer T cells in the thymus Nature Immunol, 13(5): 474-480.
- Kou J, Kovacs GG, Höftberger R, Kulik W, Brodde A, Forss-Petter S, Hönigschnabl S, Gleiss A, Brügger B, Wanders R, Just W, Budka H, Jungwirth S, Fischer P, Berger J. (2011) Peroxisomal alterations in Alzheimer's disease Acta Neuropathol, 122: 271-283
| Article (PDF) |
Show all publications